Followers

Saturday, September 7, 2013

So why did people come to Ohio?

That was the question of the day. Why. What was the allure, the attraction, the compelling reason to root everything up and come to Ohio in the first place?

After being here for a while, that question began to haunt me. Seattle, I understand. Lumber, Salmon, protected access to the Pacific. But Ohio confused me. I knew why people stayed, and it boiled down to employment or family in most cases. But I didn’t know why they came in the first place. That question led me to the Ohio Historical Museum. I paid my $10 entry fee (about as high as I wanted to go to answer the question of the day) and walked in.

It’s clear that Ohioans have done great things and contributed mightily to the history and culture of the US.

Ulysses S. Grant. From Ohio. As were presidents Garfield, Taft, McKinley and Rutherford Hayes. And little known Victoria Claflin Woodhull – the first woman to be nominated President, back in 1872.


Ohio has a strong claim on Aviation. Orville and Wilbur Wright hailed from Ohio as did John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, Eddie Rickenbacker, and Paul Tibbets. And a whole laundry list of lesser known astronauts.

But why did people come here in the first place?

Focus on the last name of these Ohioans. Hebert H Dow, Harvey Samuel Firestone, Charles F Kettering, Ransom Olds, William Procter, and John D Rockenfeller.

Thomas Edison and Norman Vincent Peale? Both Ohioans. As were Dean Martin, Clark Gable, Doris Day and George Clooney. Zane Grey – Ohio.

Ohio has storied names building the industry of America. Akron, Cleveland, Cincinnati.

Great people. Great achievements. Great contributions. But why did they come in the first place?

I finally found the answer.
The government gave the land away.  Free. Ah.  That explains it.

No comments:

Post a Comment